Friday, November 15, 2013

Job Descriptions

We recently wrote a special blog entitled “Write A Business Plan.” I am adding another few words to that which I neglected to include. As an industry, we have done everything possible to get new legislation passed and the “competitive bid” eliminated. However, if we are unable to accomplish this, then we will just have to change how we operate and solicit new business. 

Since my business history goes way back to post WWII, I realized that I was constantly changing my approach to the market. The country has always been in constant rotations, and I experienced several downturns and a few wars, all of which made a big difference in how businesses stayed solvent. But no matter what happens, currently I see many opportunities in 2014 to grow and flourish.

As you prepare your operation for next year, take a very good look at each of your employees, including your driver! Be honest with yourself. Are your employees being paid a salary that reflects their value to your company? Every time I visited a dealer, I brought this subject up. To make my point I will quote Elbert Hubbard: “People who never do any more than they get paid for never get paid for any more than they do.” 

I recognize this as an appropriate comment to report as a result of two conversations I had with company principals I met at Medtrade in Orlando. They had each taken my suggestion about writing job descriptions for their employees. It got them good results! 

Prepare job descriptions so each employee is aware of his or her specialty. They also must be prepared to assist in all operations. When this survey is completed, you will then be able to appreciate their value. Those who exceed your expectation should be rewarded with an increase in salary or two tickets to a theatre or dinner at the best restaurant. 


So here is the dilemma. Is everyone on your pay-role doing all that you expect? Are the self-limiting employees salvageable? Should they be replaced? When we spoke about this problem, each principal decided to have a talk with those employees. They would discuss the growth plans of the company. They would outline rewards if the employee contributed to their success and to leave the unspoken threat of dismissal on the table. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts with Shelly!