Thursday, December 4, 2014

The Truth

How can anybody describe what TRUTH is? Does it mean honesty, trustworthiness, loyalty, or sincerity? Is it all of the above or none?

Rotarians throughout the world open their meetings with “IS IT THE TRUTH?" I have looked in my dictionary and in my thesaurus to find the correct words to describe truth. I am not the only person seeking that answer. Emily Dickinson said: “Truth is such a rare thing, it is delightful to tell it.”  Mark Twain told us: “When in doubt, tell the truth.” So what is the truth?

I had been hoping that after the Thanksgiving Holiday, when we all were grateful for what we have achieved, the truth would prevail. A new Congress would then open in 2015 and we would hear that the United States, as a country, would roll up its sleeves and work for its citizens, not for a "party". But I still have not heard it.


If our elected congressmen would sit down together, speak like gentlemen to one another, and work for all the citizens of the US, we might see many changes. As long as we are torn apart, people like the dictators and some countries and “religious groups” will continue to do two things:
  1. It appears that they will accept the good money that Uncle Sam sends them as a personal gift.
  2. They will ask for more.
Since WWII ended in 1945 we have been involved in a war. It may be called a “police action” or a “joint effort with allies”, but it still is war! Despite the growing number of fine young Americans who give their lives, has the world changed in any fashion?
 
I have not heard the truth from any of the newly elected politicians or from those still in Congress, and I am so ashamed of what I see and hear. I beg all of the politicians to stop and ask themselves before they speak “is it the truth?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts with Shelly!