Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Proud to be an American!




Yesterday (Monday 1/21/13) I sat in front of my TV from about 9:30 AM until it was time to go to bed.  I was never bored, not even for a minute! It was absolutely thrilling!

My first “inauguration” was way back in 1940 when I supported Wendell Willkie to beat FDR. He and I both lost. But even as a young man I realized how important the installation of the President of the United States (POTUS) can be. It re-unites all of the citizens.

In those days we did not have TV, radio was not very dominant, but the newspapers were. I read all that the "adults" did and we learned! On the radio, Fox Movietown News, and the many news publications, the inauguration of the President of the United States was covered so well.  With today's television, however, I feel like I am actually IN the crowd cheering, rather than just looking on as an outsider.

We all can participate in the pomp and circumstance today, which is more enjoyable than much of what is broadcast. The marching bands, the celebrities, the millions of people following the processions and being thrilled when the Chief Justice swears in the President. This is really what democracy and the United States means, regardless of who you selected on your ballot.

The beautiful thing about the inauguration is that it does not matter if the candidate you supported was elected. What is important is that the Nation made a decision. Now we must all work with the President to get the results we would like to see.

I will sum this up with the song we sing every week at my Rotary Club: “God Bless America!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts with Shelly!