Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Veterans Day

When I returned from Germany almost 70 years ago, I felt that everyone in the world was sure we had just won the “war to end all wars.” A few years later when Thelma and I were married, I was sure I would be invited back for another tour of duty, this time in Korea. Thank goodness, I wasn’t.

How many police actions, or by whatever name they identify the fighting, have American soldiers been the policemen of the world? It seems the United States stands alone. All our allies send us their support, but very few men to help.

World War 1 formally ended on the 11th hour of the 11th month in 1918. It appears storm clouds are gathering once again and I pray with all my heart that the United States no longer sends our troops to clean up someone else’s mess.

All I want to say is join with me and let our congressmen and others in DC know we will support all efforts to prevent another war from starting.

Benjamin Franklin said: “There never was a good war or a bad peace.”

In the Book of Common Prayer: “Give peace in our time, O Lord.”


AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts with Shelly!